Divest from Dakota Access Pipeline (DAPL), Stand with Standing Rock (#NoDAPL)
about Standing Rock
The Standing Rock Sioux tribe is blocking construction of the Dakota Access Pipeline, a current fossil fuel buildout. Local police are attacking them in defense of the fossil fuel company, Energy Transfer Partners, rushing to complete the project, pushing thru sacred burial sites and most likely contaminating drinking water. Many other tribes, organizations, municipal groups and unions support their stand, even our Philadelphia City Council. More on their own website (standwithstandingrock.net).
For a historical understanding of the situation we’re faced with as a nation, see NYC Stands with Standing Rock Collective. 2016. “#StandingRockSyllabus.”.
latest news about Standing Rock
Get your news directly from the folks on the ground, via their website (standwithstandingrock.net/category/news/) or Facebook page (facebook.com/Standing-Rock-Sioux-Tribe-402298239798452/). Know that Facebook posts, especially videos, sometimes get deleted.
— IndigenousEnviroNet (@IENearth) November 25, 2016
We’ve got a local solidarity group in Philly, which is active in local protests. Some have targeted local branches of the banks listed below. Meet them here (facebook.com/PHILLYNoDAPLSolidarity).
Philly area Banks funding Dakota Access Pipeline
Noticing the public uproar about what’s happening at Standing Rock, Yes magazine published a list of the 17 banks funding the aggressive Dakota Access Pipeline (DAPL). This list includes many European and Asian banks too, so we’ve culled it to just the US banks that many of you may have accounts with, notably:
If you’re ready to move your money from any of the above banks, we recommend a local bank or credit union, one that invests directly into the Philadelphia region.
- Beneficial Bank is headquartered in Philadelphia | thebeneficial.com
- Bryn Mawr Trust is headquartered in Bryn Mawr | bmtc.com
- Firstrust Bank is headquartered in South Philaelphia | firstrust.com
- Harleysville Savings Bank is headquartered in Harleysville, PA | harleysvillesavings.com
- Hyperion Bank is headquartered in Philly with 3 branch offices | hyperionbank.com
- Malvern Federal Savings Bank, headquartered in Paoli, PA | malvernfederal.com
- Polonia Bank is headquartered in Huntingdon Valley, PA with 4 branch offices in Philly | poloniabank.com
- Republic Bank is headquartered in Philadelphia | myrepublicbank.com
- United Bank of Philadelphia is an African-American owned and controlled bank with headquarters in Philadelphia with 3 branches | ubphila.com
- United Savings Bank is headquartered in South Philadelphia | unitedsavingsbank.com
- Univest Bank is headquartered in Souderton, PA | univest.net
- Washington Savings Bank is headquartered in North Philadelphia | washingtonsav.com
- American Heritage Federal Credit Union | amhfcu.org
- Citadel Federal Credit Union is headquartered in Exton, PA | citadelbanking.com
- Everence | everence.com
- Franklin Mint Federal Credit Union | fmfcu.org
- Freedom Credit Union | freedomcu.org
- Philadelphia Federal Credit Union | pfcu.com
- Police & Fire Federal Credit Union | pffcu.org
- TruMark Financial Federal Credit Union | trumarkonline.org
Multinational Banks, and why
Though we hesitate to promote multinational banks, we understand the convenience of branches at majors cities, especially if your life is in transition. This list is for you!
Updates & Media about divestment from DAPL
To date, one bank, DNB of Norway has divested. See How Indigenous Activists in Norway got the first bank to pull out of the Dakota Access Pipeline.
We suggest you follow BankTrack’s page on the Dakota Access Pipeline for updates. Also of interest is a well-researched open letter with many signatories to the association of banks funding the Dakota Access Pipeline. DNB Capital
Have updates to this page? Please let us know!