There’s plans to develop a liquid natural gas (LNG) processing and storage site in Philadelphia. It’s dubbed the Passyunk Energy Center. Read our take on it here: The Passyunk Energy Center? Just Say No!
Despite rousing public opposition to the project, the Philadelphia Gas Commission voted to OK this project. Read our perspective here: Resistance to the proposed Passyunk Energy Center.
Then sign our petition to state that you’re against this project.
If you can represent an organization, please sign the coalition letter for your organization. Here’s who’s signed to date:
- Delaware Riverkeeper Network
- Green Justice Philly
- Neighbors Against The Gas Plants
- 350 Philadelphia
- Philly Thrive
- Clean Water Action
- POWER Interfaith
- Sierra Club — Southeastern PA Group (SPG)
- Moms Clean Air Force — PA Chapter
- Clean Air Council
- Philly Electric Wheels
- Food & Water Watch
- [UPenn] Penn Environmental Group
- Weavers Way Co-op — Environment Committee
- Philadelphia Ready for 100
- Physicians for Social Responsibility — Philadelphia
- Ecosocialist Group in Philly DSA
- Energy Justice Network
- Sunrise Movement — Philadelphia
- The Black Church Center for Justice and Equality
- 5th Square PAC
- Emergence Education Press
- Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament
- Women’s Medical Fund
- 500 Women Scientists, Philly Pod
- Reclaim Philadelphia
See recent letter to the editor by Anthony Borzotta, published on the 2/3/19 Inquirer.
Though the Philadelphia Gas Commission voted to proceed with this project, it still needs City Council to deliberate and vote on this.
We testified at the Wednesday Feb 27 at 10am at City Hall Room 400 for a public hearing. The bill number is 181063. The hearing was scheduled by the Committee on Transportation and Public Utilities, chair Council member Kenyatta Johnson, co-chair Council member Mark Squilla. However, it was all orchestrated by Philadelphia Gas Commission chair, Council member Derek Green. This committee voted to proceed with the project, as did Mayor Jim Kenney’s administration, despite 18 ward leaders and committee persons opposing the project; despite 4 state reps opposing the project and despite the 24 groups above opposing the project.
Which means we get another chance to show public opposition when the entire council gets to vote on this. Please call or tweet any and all of the Council members listed below, stating that you oppose this project, bill# 181063.
- Squilla, Mark | 215.686.3458 | @cmmarksquilla
- Johnson, Kenyatta | 215.686.3412 | @councilmankj
- Blackwell, Jannie | 215.686.3418 | @councilwomanjlb
- Jones, Curtis | 215.686.3416 | @mr4thdistrict
- Clarke, Darrell | 215.686.3442 | @darrell_clarke
- Henon, Bobby | 215-686-3444 | @bobbyhenon
- Quinones-Sanchez, Maria | 215.686.3448 | @mariaqsanchez
- Bass, Cindy | 215.686.3424 | @cindybassphilly
- Parker, Cherelle | 215.686.3454 | @mbtphillydem
- O’Neill, Brian | 215.686.3422 | @oneill4nephilly
- Domb, Allan | 215.686.3414 | @teamdomb
- Green, Derek | 215.686.3450 | @councilmanderek
- Gym, Helen | 215.686.3420 | @HelenGymAtLarge
- Oh, David | 215.686.3452 | @davidohphilly
- Taubenberger, Al | 215.686.3440 | @AlTaubenberger
- Reynolds Brown, Blondell | 215.686.3438 | @councilwomanbrb
- Greenlee, William | 215.686.3446 | @billgreenlee215
last edit: March 11, 2019