On Friday, September 20, three days before the UN Climate Summit in NYC, young people and adults will strike all across the US and around the world to demand transformative action to address the climate emergency. This intergenerational event has grown out of the inspiring student strikes initiated in Sweden last year.
350 Philly, along with other advocacy groups, is offering organizational support to the youth organizers of the Philadelphia event.People of all ages are welcome. Please come out and join us, and help spread the word!
Our regional event, Philadelphia Strikes Back, will include a rally at City Hall and a march to demand that our elected officials commit to fighting the climate crisis by implementing a municipal Green New Deal. We want it to include:
- 100% renewable energy by 2030
- No new fossil fuel projects
- A just transition to a renewable economy.
Where: North side of City Hall, Broad & JFK Blvd, Philadelphia
- 11 am-12:30 pm – Rally
- 12:30-1:30 pm – March down 15th Street to Locust, back up Broad St.
- 1:30-2 pm – Closing Rally
What you can do:
- Register to join the strike
- Spread the word through Facebook
- Print out flyers to hand out this week
- Check our calendar of related events
Other participating groups: 500 Women Scientists Philly Pod, Citizens Climate Lobby-Philadelphia, POWER, LILAC DSA, Friends of the Earth U.S., Extinction Rebellion Philadelphia, Reclaim Philadelphia, Ready For 100 Philadelphia, The Shalom Center, PA-IPL (Pennsylvania Interfaith Power & Light), and Delaware Riverkeeper Network. If your group would like to sign on, please let us know: https://forms.gle/kaPdiJcBbtG1XojQ7